Wk# 58: Live in Thanksgiving Daily

I don't even know where to start this week...
Another pair of shoes ready for retirement

As I sit here and reflect back on what has happened the last few days, I feel like there were so many things, and yet, I have no idea what to write! haha So, bear with me. 

We FINALLY got in contact with two of the members of our ward who aren't currently participating in the blessings of the gospel. (We aren't supposed to call them Less Actives...) We met one of them at a SUPER ghetto McDonald's and got to know her and her boyfriend. We were super grateful for her willingness to meet, and we are praying the desire to come back to church will touch her heart. We met with the other one at the institute and helped her understand the doctrine of family history, which left her with a desire to come back so she can go to the temple! whoo hoo!

We taught Derek and whoa. He was definitely created to be somebody extremely important in the gospel. I have NEVER experienced a more powerful conversion journey than the one with Derek. I feel so overwhelmed that Heavenly Father continually allows me to work with him! It's amazing. We taught him about the Word of Wisdom and the Priesthood this week. As we were teaching about the Word of Wisdom, the spirit was so strong and at the end of the lesson when we committed him to live it he responded with, "Oh! I already made up my mind at the beginning of the lesson that I was going to live it!" Okay.. haha What a blessing! Then, we taught about the Priesthood because that was one of the few things holding him back from being baptized, and after we taught it he said, "Little do you know, every scripture we read today that you guys had planned are the scriptures that I studied last night looking for answers." He shared with us some experiences he has been having with the adversary, and I mean VERY powerful, very scary experiences with the forces of evil since he's been meeting with us. Yet, here he is, firm in his testimony knowing that these things are only happening because Satan doesn't want him on this path. We talked to him about Priesthood Blessings, and when he understood that you don't have to be a member to receive one, his face lit up and wanted one right then. Luckily, we were in the Institute, so the senior couple, Elder and Sister Dalley were there. So, Derek received his first priesthood blessing! It was SO POWERFUL. We saw Derek the next day, and I have NEVER seen someone so happy and full of light. And of course, he gave all the credit to the blessing. He is one incredible kid.

We saw Willie this week as well. That kid gives me the urge to smack my palm to my forehead and pull him by the ear to church, but I refrain. haha He is doing SUPER good. We taught him the Word of Wisdom as well and it went great! He completely understands everything and would give up his life for the opportunity to be baptized. He's a very special kid, and again, I feel so blessed. 

Both Willie and Derek's baptisms are still on for December 12th! 

We saw Melissa this week as well. Her baptism is still good for the 28th (next saturday) but her parents are starting to give her a hard time about it. It's been really really sad. Melissa wants to be baptized SO bad, but there has been a lot of opposition. We taught her about fasting, and we all fasted together. She was SO cute about it and was so excited. Pray for her!

Hannah is doing great. She is beyond smart, it kills me. We taught her the Plan of Salvation and of course, she knew it all! Plus, she asks the most profound questions for a 12 year old. I love working with her! And again, I AM SO EXCITED TO EAT THANKSGIVING DINNER WITH THEM. You guys have no idea. 

We got a few new investigators this week who are SO prepared!!! Curel, Rachel, Terrah, Siera, and Vinny, and Johnnie! 

Johnnie was a former investigator, if you guys remember at all. Sister Wood and I taught him, he dropped us, and now he back WAY solid! We had an incredible lesson with him, and he is a totally different person. It was cool to hear how his testimony had grown as he had left the gospel behind. We're really proud of him!

It's been a really stressful week for me. We have had a lot of trouble with some of the sisters and it's been very overwhelming. I was telling Sister Evans last night that I don't even remember what it feels like to not be stressed! I've definitely learned to rely on the Lord 100% to get me through, or else I wouldn't make it. I am very, very grateful for the enabling power of the atonement this week!

It's finally starting to cool down here, we're in the high 70's low 80's! It makes me SO happy! It's also been rainy, so it actually feels like fall... winter... whatever time of year it is. 

What a life I live... the BEST life! I'm still doing great and loving every moment of my mission. I'm very grateful for the support I continually recieve, for the prayers and mine and Cade's behalf, and for the love that I always feel. Sometimes I feel like I'm the most blessed person in the world. :)

Since it's Thanksgiving week, I'll leave you with this:

In the talk Live in Thanksgiving Daily by Elder Joseph B. Worthlin he says, "Gratitude is a mark of a noble soul and a refined character. We like to be around those who are grateful. They tend to brighten all around them. They make others feel better about themselves. They tend to be more humble, more joyful, more likable.

You might be surprised to know that gratitude is a commandment of the Father. “Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things” (D&C 59:7)...In the Book of Mormon we learn that we should “live in thanksgiving daily” (Alma 34:38). Isn’t that a wonderful thought to live in thanksgiving daily? Can you imagine how your life would improve if you lived in thanksgiving daily? Can you imagine how your life would improve if others did the same? Do you think the world would be a happier place? less stressful? less angry? more spiritual?

President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed: “The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 263)...Gratitude turns a meal into a feast and drudgery into delight. It softens our grief and heightens our pleasure. It turns the simple and common into the memorable and transcendent. It forges bonds of love and fosters loyalty and admiration.

Living in thanksgiving daily is a habit that will enrich our lives and the lives of those we love."

I testify of everything he said. What a better way to live our lives than in gratitude? Mariom G. Romney said, " if we do these things which he has advised us to do, we will be the happiest people who dwell upon the earth, for this is the way to the presence and society of our Father in heaven. I so testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

I love you all!!!! 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
I hope ya'll gobble till ya wobble!

Sister Holmes :)


No comments :

Post a Comment