Wk# 50: THE LIFE.

What an adventure filled week!!!

Saturday night we went with Tira to get snow cones on Lake Ella. I haven't had a snow cone my entire mission... they don't have them here! But this place was crazy!! It had over 70 flavors, so many toppings, and it was SO GOOD. It was WAY fun! Then we played ultimate Frisbee as a district which is always fun!

Monday morning started out with some awesome lessons and a new investigator named Fabrice from West Africa. He's got a really strong french accent, so it's a little difficult to understand him, but he's super awesome! After lunch we packed our bags and headed on a road trip to help with an Emergency Transfer....

HELLO ALABAMA!!! 

You guys. I LOVE BAMA. I hope to serve there one day! We got to take cute Sister Brandt down to Fairhope, AL and it was SUCH a fun road trip! The drive was gorgeous!

We spent the night in the Fairhope apartment, and it is the cutest apartment I have ever seen. Not to mention, the couch was the size of a full size bed and felt like HEAVEN. 

We up and left early Tuesday morning to get back to Tally at a decent time (it's a 4ish hour drive, so not too bad) and on our way home we made some fun little pit stops! What a better way to spend my 11 month birthday! We went to some pretty redneck southern souvenier shops, and had some good food breaks!
and YUP. I've been out 11 months! WWHHAATT.

Anyway, it was SO much fun, and I am so grateful that I was given the opportunity to see the mission! We ended up driving through most of it!  Sister Wood and I had a great time, and laughed lots and lots. Great memories were made! 

On Wednesday we got to go into one of the college classes and do a presentation on Family History. It was super cool! Then we had a Specialized Zone Training with President and Sister Smith. Sister Wood and I had the opportunity to teach at that, and it was a really good experience. We trained on Family History and what tools Family Search has to offer! The Zone Training was focused on Family History and "Opportunity Generation Next."

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS.
(I can't remember if I've talked about this in an email already... so if I have, I apologize.)

We have received council from Elder Nielson (who came and toured our mission) to implement a new form of missionary work. It has only been done in the Philippines, and they saw incredible success. This has never been done in the States before! We are taking the focus off of baptism, and putting it on the temple. We will now focus on reactivation! Our goal is to make the church here in the south strong. By doing so, we reach a new pool of potential investigators! By going through the less active members, we will find more people to teach and baptize, while reactivating members. 
I am SUPER pumped about this. The spirit has definitely testified that this is the key to unlocking the south! It's going to be awesome. 

To reactivate members, we will be using family history, which brings me to the next incredible thing.

President and Sister Smith, as well as the office elders, have spent countless hours working on something that no other mission has ever had! We are the first in the world to take this approach and use this. They have designed and created a Family History Pamphlet, just like the Restoration, Plan of Salvation, Gospel of Jesus Christ, etc pamphlets that we use to teach! It teaches the doctrine of Family History and transitions into the Restoration! IT'S AMAZING. 

Heavenly Father is definitely hastening the work here right now! We have so many new incredible tools to use! BLESSINGS!!!

Wednesday night we also got to teach Dena! I LOVE HER. She is definitely progressing, and we are still praying for October 10th as her baptism day!! Man, she is incredible.

We ate at a member's home that night as well and had Pork Chops. YYUUMMMM. I love eating normal food!

Thursday we taught lots of lessons and then I went to Crawfordville, FL on an exchange until last night! It was super fun, and we got to ride bikes! I haven't ridden a bike since I was in Callaway. Do I want to chop my legs off? You better believe it! It was way good though, and the weather was gorgeous! I also saw the most disgusting bugs there. I gagged. Yep. Gagged. 

And tonight is the General Woman's Broadcast! I AM SO EXCITED! I can't believe General Conference is already here. I also can't believe that Elder Scott passed away! It's going to be a very eventful conference! 

Robert D. Hales once said, "There has always been a desperate need for the steady and reassuring voice of a living prophet of God: one who will speak the mind and will of God in showing the way to spiritual safety and personal peace and happiness...A characteristic of prophets throughout the ages is that, regardless of the consequences, they have had the strength to speak the words of God with plainness and boldness...With the restoration of the priesthood in 1829, there was a restoration of prophets in this dispensation. Living prophets are leading this church today. The greatest security of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints comes from learning to listen to and obey the words and commandments that the Lord has given through living prophets. I would hope that the world would understand the importance of having a living prophet on earth today...If we listen to the prophets of this day, poverty would be replaced with loving care for the poor and needy. Many serious and deadly health problems would be avoided through compliance with the Word of Wisdom and the laws of sexual purity. Payment of tithing would bless us, and we would have sufficient for our needs. If we follow the counsel given by the prophets, we can have a life in mortality where we do not bring upon ourselves unnecessary pain and self-destruction. This does not mean we will not have challenges. We will. This does not mean we will not be tested. We will, for this is part of our purpose on earth. But if we will listen to the counsel of our prophet, we will become stronger and be able to withstand the tests of mortality. We will have hope and joy. All the words of counsel from the prophets of all generations have been given so that we may be strengthened and then be able to lift and strengthen others...Our spiritual safety lies in turning to the clear voice of our living prophet. If we listen to his voice and obey his counsel, we will be able to live as Christ would have us live and endure to the end so that one day we, along with our families, will return back into the presence of our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ."

I hope and pray that we can heed to the council of the leaders of this beautiful church, for how blessed are we to have the church that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, established. 

I love this gospel, and I love President Thomas S. Monson. I know he is indeed the living prophet in these latter days. I support him, I believe in him, and I follow him. 


I love you all so much, and I truly am grateful for each one of you!

All my love!
Sister Holmes

Also... My next P-Day will be Monday October 5th, due to General Conference that weekend :)













 

No comments :

Post a Comment