Week #42: What the AUGUST?!

I can't believe July has come and gone! Time is picking up speed real quickly!
This week was a good one! Nothing too exciting to report on, but we did get a few new investigators that we are super excited to work with, and we also met some really awesome people. I went on my first exchange this week as a Sister Training Leader (STL) and boy. I don't feel cut out for this calling! I have been a stress case all week! I thought p-day was never going to get here. haha but thank heavens for my student gov training with stress. ;)

TCC is great! super small, but it's fun because you get to know EVERYONE on campus! so that's pretty awesome! 

Sister Wood and I are TERRIBLE at asking for referrals, so we came up with a reward system to help us remember. We decided that if we asked for two referrals everyday, one in a lesson and one in a contact, for five days in a row, we would go to this place called Crepe Vine, and guess what. We did it! We are SO excited! That's our dinner for tonight. :)

This email is super lame.. BUT I'm doing good, and still L O V I N G it out here. It is hotter than hot, and the humidity is a killer, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have been super blessed with amazing companions and great areas, and I still am loving every bit of it. 

Also, I had another "lexa" moment this week. I learned that all the months have the same amount of days every year. Who knew! hahaha I am such an idiot sometimes! My sweet companion sure got a kick out of that one!

I'll leave you with a story that Sister Wood shared with me this morning. It's from the talk Come and See by Elder Bednar given in the October General Conference of last year, and I absolutely love it.

"One evening Susan and I stood near a window in our home and watched two of our little boys playing outside. During the course of their adventures, the younger of the two boys was injured slightly in a small accident. We quickly recognized that he was not seriously hurt, and we decided not to provide immediate assistance. We wanted to observe and see if any of our family discussions about brotherly kindness had sunk in. What happened next was both interesting and instructive.

The older brother consoled and carefully helped the younger brother back into the house. Susan and I had positioned ourselves near the kitchen so we could see what next took place, and we were prepared to intervene immediately if additional bodily harm seemed likely or a serious accident was imminent.

The older brother dragged a chair to the kitchen sink. He climbed up on the chair, assisted his brother onto the chair, turned on the water, and proceeded to pour a large quantity of dishwashing soap onto the scratched arm of his little brother. He did his best to gently wash away the dirt. The reaction of the little brother to this procedure can only be described accurately using language from the holy scriptures: “And they shall have cause to howl, and weep, and wail, and gnash their teeth” (Mosiah 16:2). And did that little boy howl!

After the scrubbing was finished, the arm was carefully dried with a towel. Eventually the screaming stopped. The older brother next climbed up onto the kitchen counter, opened a cabinet, and found a new tube of medicated ointment. Though the scratches on his little brother were not large or extensive, the older brother applied almost all of the ointment in the tube to the entire injured arm. The screaming did not resume, as the little brother clearly liked the soothing effect of the ointment much more than he appreciated the cleansing effect of the dishwashing soap.

The older brother returned again to the cabinet in which he had found the ointment and located a new box of sterile bandages. He then unwrapped and put bandages all up and down his brother’s arm—from the wrist to the elbow. With the emergency resolved, and with soap bubbles, ointment, and wrappers all over the kitchen, the two little boys hopped down from the chair with bright smiles and happy faces.

What happened next is most important. The injured brother gathered up the remaining bandages and the almost empty tube of ointment, and he went back outside. He quickly sought out his friends and began to put ointment and bandages on their arms. Susan and I both were struck by the sincerity, enthusiasm, and rapidity of his response.

Why did that little boy do what he did? Please note that he immediately and intuitively wanted to give to his friends the very thing that had helped him when he was hurt."

Every member is a missionary. Are we doing those things to keep us spiritually strong? Are we reading our scriptures everyday, more importantly studying them? Are we sincerely praying to our Heavenly Father always? Are we attending ALL of our church meetings regularly? Are we spiritually prepared to share the things we know and love with those who don't know about it? Are we gaining the trust of Heavenly Father for those people to be placed in OUR path? I hope and pray that we each gain the pure desire that this little boy had. I hope we are strengthening our testimonies so that we too can run to all those around us and share the gospel that we love so dearly.

I am eternally grateful for the opportunity I have been given to serve my Heavenly Father, to represent my Savior, Jesus Christ, and to run to those around me to shed the light of the gospel into their lives. I am forever grateful for the things I continue to learn about not only strengthening my self, but strengthening others through the enabling power of the atonement. 

I challenge you to pray for a missionary opportunity and take advantage of the one Heavenly Father places in your path. No greater joy comes than when you share the gospel. 

I love each and every one of you!!! 

Have a blessed day! (I hate that farewell, but I'm in the south, so I'm going to use it anyway.)

Sister Holmes :)


No comments :

Post a Comment